The monarch butterfly, scientific name Danaus plexippus, is a milkweed butterfly. These beautiful butterflies are easily recognized by their black, orange, and white patterns on their wings. These butterflies are native to North America and then fly south to Mexico during the colder months; they fly over 3,000 miles across the country.
Monarch butterflies are being considered for the Endangered Species List because the population of the species has declined 90 percent over the last 20 years, from about 1 billion to 35 million butterflies. Bringing back milkweed will bring back the monarchs and many other butterflies.
This Collection includes 6 individually packed varieties of Milkweed seeds:
- Red - Yellow Milkweed Asclepias curassavica (can be substituted with Spider Milkweed Asclepias viridis)
- Virginia Silkweed Asclepias syriaca
- Red Butterfly Milkweed Asclepias tuberosa
- Bloated Milkweed Family Jewels Asclepias physocarpa (Gomphocarpus physocarpus)
- Showy Milkweed Asclepias speciosa
- Rose Milkweed Asclepias incarnata
-- 1 pack of mixed annual pollinator Wildflowers
-- 6 small wooden plant markers
-- Growing guidelines
Comes in a small Tin Gift Box with decorative belly band.
Seed count is 20 - 40 per pack depending on variety.